Plunging into .NET Development

Weblog Pieter Gheysens
Microsoft .NET Development - C# - Enterprise Library - Visual Studio 2005 Team System - Compuware DevPartner - ...
 


Tuesday, August 1

ASP.NET 2.0 Configuration : Profile Tab ?!

One of the improvements in ASP.NET was the centralization of all configuration settings in a web.config file (XML). In ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1, you still had to manually edit your settings in angle brackets. In ASP.NET 2.0 we can use the Web Site Administration Tool (menu Website > ASP.NET Configuration) to do some configuration. This week-end I came to the conclusion that the Profile Tab is missing in the final release of Visual Studio 2005!? I'm sure that I have seen the Profile Tab in an earlier version! What happened with the Profile Tab? Anyone an idea why it's been removed from the final release of Visual Studio 2005?

Luckily it's still possible to use the Profile feature in ASP.NET, but you have to configure it manually in the web.config file ...

The ASP.NET profile feature associates information with an individual user and stores the information in a persistent format. Profiles allow you to manage user information without requiring you to create and maintain your own database. In addition, the ASP.NET profile feature makes the user information available using a strongly typed API that you can access from anywhere in your application.

By the way : did you know that you can easily modify/extend the Web Site Administration Tool? You can find all source in (drive):\(WindowsPath)\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles. Finally it may still be possible to create my own Profile Tab ...

Links

1 Comments:

  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this. I thought I was doing something wrong with my web.config. The Roles and Membership were being shown under the WSAT providers tab, but not the Profile.

    I guess I'll have to do it manually.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home