Plunging into .NET Development

Weblog Pieter Gheysens
Microsoft .NET Development - C# - Enterprise Library - Visual Studio 2005 Team System - Compuware DevPartner - ...
 


Saturday, November 12

Trouble connecting to SSE

After uninstallation of all beta stuff and installation of the final release of Visual Studio 2005, I had trouble adding a new Data Connection (SQL Server Express) to my Server Explorer in Visual Studio. Each time (for a new database and for a database I already created with the SQL Server Management Studio) I got the error : Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.



I did some googling and didn't find a lot of useful information. Only after reading all threads on this forum-post I followed the advice to delete all my user-data of SQL Server Express located at C:\Documents and Settings\*UserName*\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS. Rebooting and reconnecting to SQL Server Express recopied all appropriate files to my local settings and everything worked again. Be sure to try this procedure if you are in a similar situation!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The path which you have written is not the same at my location.

    I dont have any folder by the name of
    Microsoft SQL Server Data

    I only have \Microsoft SQL Server

    so now tell me which folder or file delete

     
  • At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...that happened to me...but then i realized i was in application data when i should be in local settings\application data...re-check the filepath you followed...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home