Plunging into .NET Development

Weblog Pieter Gheysens
Microsoft .NET Development - C# - Enterprise Library - Visual Studio 2005 Team System - Compuware DevPartner - ...
 


Saturday, January 5

Skype add-on disabled to prevent IE crashes

Skype hampered me already once in the past, but now they did it again ...

From time to time I was experiencing hanging (not responding) problems with Internet Explorer 7 on my Vista pc and I could not always reproduce this. First I decided to run Internet Explorer without add-ons and that seemed to work fine (go to Start > Programs > Accessoires > System Tools). No crashes anymore!



So, there must have been a problem with one of the add-ons of Internet Explorer. I disabled all loaded add-ons in IE7 (Tools > Manage add-ons) and figured out by trial-and-error (enable one by one again) which one caused the problem. The culprit was the add-on of Skype (v3.6.0.216) : Skype add-on (mastermind).


Disabling the add-on was an option, but I also tried to Upgrade/Update Skype and indeed that solved my problem too. No more IE crashes anymore with Skype v.3.6.0.244 ...

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I too found that disabling the Skype add-on (mastermind) stopped my IE problem. I am running XP SP2 (all latest updates applied), Skype v3.6.0.244 and IE-7 but IE still has problems.

    However, in my case, IE randomly hangs, not crashes, when I access various sites. The only site which I have found which always causes a hang is the Microsoft Windows Update site when it checks to see if you have the latest validation software.

    Can someone tell me what features/functions this add-on provides?

    Also, does anyone have a solution which allows both the add-on and IE to happily coexist?

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    P.S. to my earlier comment, which I think, I entered twice. Oh, silly me!

    I have also submitted this problem to the Skype support team. It will be interesting to see what, if any, comments they make about this problem.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home